Dim sum is a unique Chinese style of cooking where food is usually served as small, bite-sized portions. The food is usually presented in steam baskets. I know when I go eat Dim Sum, I like to try everything! Here are some of the most popular Dim Sum dishes:
- Shrimp Dumplings- These are nearly transparent starch dumplings filled with shrimp and sometimes pork and bamboo.
- Pork Siu Mai- These are open-top dumplings completely filled with pork and/or shrimp. There may also be vegetables included as well. Definitely a must have when eating Dim Sum.
- Noodle Rolls- These are thin, slippery rice noodles filled with beef, shrimp, pork, mushrooms, or vegetables.
- Fried Sticky Rice- This is definitely my favorite dim sum dish of all time. This is sticky rice mixed with shrimp vegetables, and sometime pork.
- Sticky Rice Wrapped in Lotus Leaf- This is rice with pork, chicken, and mushrooms wrapped in a lotus leaf. Don’t eat the lotus leaf. Unwrap using utensils.
These are just some of the large variety of dim sum dishes there are to eat in a traditional Dim Sum restaurant. Stay tuned for Part II on the Dim Sum Guide. Until next time, 再见!